pixiestyx

Ursula Vernon
The Color of Magic
Terry Pratchett

Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych ER

Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych ER - Julie Holland I enjoyed Weekends at Bellevue although I was surprised that it focused more on Dr. Holland and her personal experience & therapy vs. that of her patients. It was still interesting to read about how she had to harden herself emotionally, how important it is for psych doctors to have their own therapy so that they don't project onto their patients. The bits of information about the patient side is more generic. While she covers a few out-of-the-norm cases, you are left with the impression that many of their day-to-day patients, regardless of age, sex, or class, have had similarly traumatic experiences that brought them to this breaking point. The author briefly mentions how the mentally ill are treated so differently here in the US, vs. other countries where they are more integrated into society and cared for by not only their families but neighbors and friends in the community as well. I found myself wishing that there was more information on this topic and whether this might change anytime soon or not.