pixiestyx

Ursula Vernon
The Color of Magic
Terry Pratchett

The Doomsday Vault: A Novel of the Clockwork Empire

The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1) - Steven Harper Ugh. I was really into this book for the 1st 3/4...Victorian clockwork, zombies, airmen & pirates...lots of interesting action! I got that Alice was trying to figure out who she was, trying to resolve her non-traditional interest in all things clockwork with the fact that society had a different idea of who she was and how she needed to live. Being drawn away from her daily traditional life and running off to immediately investigate things that came up without waiting around for a man to take care of it as would have apparently been proper for their society? It was clear where her heart lay. I couldn't stand Norbert, and I was rooting for Gavin the whole time, but I feel the scene where she finally left Norbert for Gavin was lacking. After she walked back into the theater I felt like there should have been a "final straw" scene with Norbert...or else, why have her go back in at all? It just seemed strange. I also felt it was a bit over-the-top how quickly Alice went from her "What would society think?! I could never be an Ad Hoc woman!" persona to suddenly being perfectly fine feeling up & canoodling with a guy she was not engaged to. It just seemed like someone flipped a switch. It seemed like it would have been more natural for her to want to do those things but still hold herself back a bit. There were a few more things that bothered me at the end, but I can't remember them just now. All I can say is that after loving the first half of the book, I was a bit disappointed in the second half. I would still like to read the second book to see what happens however.